Tuesday 1 March 2011

Week 1 - Entering the blogosphere...

This isn’t my best or favourite piece - it’s my only piece! When I moved from overseas (Canada) I left my drawings and paintings behind. This is one piece I took, as it was small and decorative. This is a sketch I made during a three-minute drawing exercise with a nude model. She was a really lovely, fleshy woman and I was very fond of her back. I think I’ve captured her topography fairly well. In person, the sketch has a lot of depth that makes it feel soft and tactile.

Nude Lounging on Carpet

Lake-Front Property - Ice Fishing Houses
Architecture in Canada is shaped by the changing seasons and elements. Structures need to cope with the snow, ice and freezing wind that sweep the land every winter. Some buildings do this better than others. An ice fishing house is a structure cut down to its most basic elements – four walls, a roof, a door – yet it is a building that deftly meets the challenge. The structure must be lightweight and portable, while protecting one or more people from the harsh conditions outside. The cabins are often warm and surprisingly comfortable inside, even when they have no floor! I chose this photo to demonstrate the simplicity and strength of an icehouse.  They are buildings designed to resist their surroundings, and yet every year they effortlessly become part of the winter environment. 


Desert Fortress
This is a photo I took while visiting an old fort in Oman. I took the photo because I liked the shapes of the doorway and the vase standing side-by-side. The curves are reflected in one-another, as well as the peaks of the doorframe and the tapering of the vase. The colours in the photo are true to life – this particular room in the fort is bathed in deep pink light as a result of the interior architecture of the castle. I think it is a beautiful, strong image.



























Mueck: anxiety, brace, tentative.


 Malangi: energy, resonate, balanced

  Banksy: disparity, defy, playful.

No comments:

Post a Comment